Building a wall, the Muslim and refugee ban, sanctuary cities, an uncertain future for DREAMers: under the current administration, immigrants from all walks of life are under attack.
In February, NPR reported that even green card holders are afraid; they’re now applying for citizenship at unprecedented rates.
That’s because citizenship offers protection and security.
America has a long history of welcoming people from all over the world. During the last decade, the U.S. added more than 6.6 million citizens into the fabric of our nation, with 730,000 in 2015 alone. But there are many people eligible for citizenship who don’t apply.
One of the biggest barriers? Cost.
Lending Circles can pave the way to opportunity.
In the 2017 State of the State Book, Governor Cuomo makes a commitment to protect the safety, security, and dignity of immigrants. In just a few months, nonprofits in New York State will be able to offer Lending Circles loans to people who can’t afford to become citizens or lack access to financial products.
Why is this work critical?
- Because immigrants represent one out of five New Yorkers and contribute significantly to the state’s economy as business owners, workers, consumers, and taxpayers.
- Nearly one million New Yorkers are eligible to become U.S. citizens, but many are unable to do so because they cannot afford the $725 application fee.
- While some qualify for fee waivers, this cost barrier stands between 158,000 New Yorkers and citizenship.
- MAF is proud to join forces with the good people of the State of New York to pave the way to financial security for New Yorkers through 0% interest loans.
Want to help?
- Get informed. Check out the State of the State book (page 172) and keep an eye out for more updates coming soon.
- Get invested. Any new expansion or effort requires new support. Help us build our Lending Circles community in New York!
- Get in touch. We’ll be in New York soon and would love to continue the conversation in person. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.